En EspaÑol

Tuesday - August 29, 2006

From: Hays County, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Control of Roosevelt weed in Hays County, TX

QUESTION:

Roosevelt weed is rapidly taking over the ranchette which we have purchased in Hays County. Any suggestions for reducing or eliminating its presence will be appreciated. Thanks.

ANSWER:

I wish I could offer an easier, quicker method; but, the most effective (and most environmentally-friendly) way to control the Roosevelt weed plants is to rogue them out, i.e., either pull them or dig them up. For the smaller ones it should be relatively easy to pull them and get most of the roots. The larger ones will probably require a little digging. It will take some time and effort and you have to be persistent, but you should be able to get them under control this way. Another possibility is to do a controlled burn of the area since they will readily burn. However, under the present conditions with the drought and extremely hot weather, this is definitely not the best idea.