En Espa—ol

Wednesday - July 11, 2012

From: Alloway, NJ
Topic: Pests, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Dealing with aphids on milkweed plants in Alloway, NJ.

QUESTION:

I planted milk weed for the Monarch butterfly. Every year it gets orange aphids that seem to suck out the juices and eventually kill the plant sooner than I like.

ANSWER:

The pest that you are dealing with is known as the Oleander Aphid (and also the Milkweed Aphid), Aphis nerii .

I will provide you with three links that can help make you an expert on on this little nuisance

University of Florida IFAS Extension; a thorough  description of the insect including control measures and photos.

gardenweb.com/forums: a forum discussion by people who are trying to grow milkweed in order to raise Monarch butterflies.

mymonarchguide.com : an interesting website with great photos for people who are interested in raising Monarch butterlies.