Mr. Smarty Plants - Source for Texas Star hibiscus from Grand Prairie TX

Sunday - June 24, 2012

From: Grand Prairie, TX
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Source for Texas Star hibiscus from Grand Prairie TX

QUESTION:

I am having a lot of difficulty in trying to find and purchase a Texas Hibiscus. Any clues?

ANSWER:

Oddly enough, Hibiscus coccineus (Scarlet rose-mallow), also known as Texas Star is not native to Texas but to some nearby southern states. It is a member of the Mallow family and its foliage is sometimes mistaken by nosy neighbors as marijuana, so watch out! Since it is a native plant, your best source is going to be dealers in native plants. This member of the Mr. Smarty Plants Team lived in Arlington for 38 years, and here are 3 nurseries where we often found native plants:

King's Creek Gardens - Oak Hill

Redenta's Garden - Arlington

Weston Gardens in Bloom - Ft. Worth - link is to ad from Weston Gardens on Texas Star Hibiscus.

I have been gone from there for 13 years, but I think they are all still open. Call first.

Failing that, go to our National Suppliers Directory, type your town and state or zip code into the "Enter Search Location" box and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed suppliers and landscape consultants in your general area. All will have contact information and you can make inquiries before you shop around. Hope you find them, we always enjoyed ours.

Scarlet rosemallow
Hibiscus coccineus

Scarlet rosemallow
Hibiscus coccineus

Scarlet rosemallow
Hibiscus coccineus