Sunday - June 24, 2012

From: Palm Coast, FL
Topic: Plant Lists
Title: Salt tolerant plants for shade in wet Florida site

QUESTION:

We live in north Florida and have an area that nothing will grow there, it is about 12 ft. long and very wet due to neighbors sprinklers. It is shaded and gets brackish water. Only 400 yards from ocean. What can I plant there that will grow. I have done soil testing and it comes back that the soil is ok. I am at a loss. I appreciate your advice.

ANSWER:

The Florida Native Plant Society has an excellent feature on its webpage that allows you to choose native plants for your county suitable for landscaping by selecting criteria to match your site.  I selected "Flagler County" from the map and then "Part Sun" and "Shade" under Light Range and "High" and "Continuously Wet" under Water Needs.   Finally, I picked "Salt Tolerance' under Select for Special Interests/Needs.  The plants listed below are some of the ones resulting from that search.   You can do the search, or a similar one, yourself to see more possibilities.

Cyrilla racemiflora (Swamp titi) is a small tree (20-30 feet) that grows in partial shade in wet soil and is highly salt tolerant.  Here is more information from the Florida Native Plant Society.

Magnolia virginiana (Sweetbay) is small tree (40-60 feet) that grows in shade and part shade in wet soil and it is moderately salt tolerant.   Here is more information from the Florida Native Plant Society.

Callicarpa americana (American beautyberry) is a shrub (up to 7 feet) that is highly salt tolerant and grows in sun and part shade. Here is more information from Florida Native Plant Society.

Psychotria nervosa (Seminole balsamo) is a shrub (2 to 6 feet) that will grow in shade and part shade and is moderately salt tolerant.   Here are photos and more information from Florida Native Plant Society.

Crinum americanum (Crinum lily) is a wetland plant, grows in sun, part shade and shade and is moderately salt tolerant.   Here is more information from Florida Native Plant Society.

Phyla nodiflora (Texas frogfruit) is a low ground cover that grows in sun and part shade and is highly salt tolerant.   Here is more information from Florida Native Plant Society.

Acrostichum danaeifolium (Giant leather fern) is fern (6 to 12 feet) that grows in wet soil, part shade and is highly salt tolerant.

Tripsacum dactyloides (Eastern gamagrass) is a 6 foot tall grass that grows in partial shade and is highly salt tolerant.  Here is more information from Florida Native Plant Society.

Spartina patens (Marsh-hay cord grass) grows in part shade and is highly salt tolerant.   Here photos and more information from Flordia Native Plant Society.

American beautyberry
Callicarpa americana

American crinum lily
Crinum americanum

Texas frogfruit
Phyla nodiflora

Eastern gamagrass
Tripsacum dactyloides