Monday - August 28, 2006

From: Pampa, TX
Title: Seed sources for Mexican Gama Grass

QUESTION:

I'm trying to find a seed source for Mexican Gama Grass (scientific name is Tripsacum lanceolatum). Can you help me? Thanks.

ANSWER:

In our National Suppliers Directory you can search for nurseries and seed companies that specialize in native plants. Some, but not all, of the companies listed show web addresses. In a preliminary search of the web pages listed for the nurseries and seed companies in the southwest and California, I did not find any with Tripsacum lanceolatum offered for sale. There were other companies without web addresses that you might try contacting by telephone to see if they carry seeds for Mexican gama grass. Several companies did carry Tripsacum dactyloides, Eastern gama grass, and it might be worthwhile talking with them to see if they know about the availability of Mexican gama grass. Here are three Texas companies that have Eastern gama grass for sale: Native American Seed in Junction; Wichita Valley Nursery in Wichita Falls: and Mc Neal Growers in Manchaca.

Another possibility is to contact someone doing research using T. lanceolatum. You can search the National Agricultural Library Catalog (AGRICOLA) online for possible leads and doing a Google or Dogpile search might lead you to someone doing research on the species. You could also try contacting Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum since they have carried out research in the Sierra Madre Occidental of Eastern Sonora, Mexico on the grasses of the region, including Tripsacum lanceolatum.