En Espa—ol

Saturday - June 09, 2012

From: Houston, TX
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Blue mistflowers not blooming in Houston

QUESTION:

My blue mist flower plants are not blooming, but they did last summer. I have tried spreading manure, but it hasn't worked. What should I use to stimulate blooms. Thanks.

ANSWER:

Well, the first thing you should do is wait until their bloom time, which, according to our webpage on Conoclinium coelestinum (Blue mistflower), is July to November. Perhaps you bought some already-blooming plants last year that were a little confused by being raised in greenhouses or force-bloomed.

Another thing is cut out the manure. That is a very strong fertilizer, and if it had not been seasoned enough before you spread it, could be burning the plant roots. Blue Mistflower is native to the Harris County area, and native plants seldom need fertilizers, because they are already accustomed by centuries of experience with the soils, climate and rainfall.

Blue mistflower
Conoclinium coelestinum

Blue mistflower
Conoclinium coelestinum

Blue mistflower
Conoclinium coelestinum