Friday - June 08, 2012

From: Tarrytown, NY
Topic: Privacy Screening, Vines
Title: Need a vine to cover a chainlink fence in the shade in Tarrytown, NY.

Any advice for a vine to cover a chain link fence in shade

For starters, lets go to our Native Plant Database  and use the Combination Search option. Select New York under State, vine under General Appearance, and perennial under Lifespan. Check Shade  under Light Requirement, moist under Soil Moisture, and Deciduous under Leaf Retention. Click the Narrow your Search button and you get 8 species that meet these criteria.  You will probably want to eliminate Toxicodendron radicans (Eastern poison ivy), so that leaves you with seven. Clicking on the Scientific Name of each species will bring up information about its characteristics, growth requirements, and in most cases, photos. As you go through the list, select the best match between the plant and your growth conditions.
Two other sources that you can contact for help are the Native Plant Society of New Jersey, and the Westchester County Office of Cornell University Cooperative Extension.