Sunday - June 03, 2012

From: Spring, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Planting, Cacti and Succulents
Title: Repotting non-native Agave ghiesbreghtii from Spring TX

QUESTION:

I've recently purchased an Agave ghiesbreghtii, and will need to re-pot it soon. I have some cactus soil mix as well as a few rocks to put in the bottom of its new pot. There seem to be roots coming out of the holes in the container it came with, and a few leaves have brown and/or dead tips. Will the leaves and roots need to be trimmed, or will the plant survive with these once its in the new pot?

ANSWER:

We learn something new every day. We had never heard of the species of the genus Agave. Wish you had picked something easier to spell. However, this plant is native from Mexico south to Guatemala and therefore is not in our Native Plant Database. This article from Cactus Art seems to have the best information for your questions.