Saturday - June 02, 2012

From: Scottsdale, AZ
Topic: Non-Natives, Shrubs
Title: Problems with non-native Eugenia in Scottsdale AZ

I have 5 eugenia topiaries in my courtyard in pots..I notice as the days here in Phoenix get hotter and dry (as usual) they are starting to look bad, even though they are under a shelter out of the direct sun..shall I bring them inside until it cools off in October? This is inconvenient as they will take a lot of space, but I really love them, and they were expensive to buy..thanks

Eugenia myrtifolia is native to Australia and therefore out of Mr. Smarty Plants' jurisdiction. We recommend only plants native not only to North America but to the areas where they grow natively. We will look through Internet information to see if we can find out what growing conditions the plant needs. It could be soils, rainfall, amount of sunlight, excess heat, etc, so about all we can do is try to find resources for you to think about.

PlantCare.com Fruiting Myrtle (Eugenia) - Under "environment" this article says suitable only for a greenhouse.

Dave's Garden - lists only California and Florida as places where it grows

Denver Plants - under "temps" calls for normal indoor temps

Monrovia says it is often used as a hedge and can tolerate USDA Hardiness zones of 9 to 11. Maricopa County appears to be in USDA Hardiness Zones of 10a to 10b.

So, as you can see, we don't have a clue, because all these different websites say different things. Have you asked the supplier from which you bought it if they know anything about how or where it should be grown? Pictures