En EspaÑol

Friday - May 25, 2012

From: Littleton, CO
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Dying leaves on Autumn Blaze Maple tree in Littleton, CO

QUESTION:

I have an autumn blaze maple where for the last two years the left side of the tree turns light green, then brown, and leaves die. The right side is dark green, normal. Is this a water over/under problem or something else? Thanks

ANSWER:

The Autumn Blaze Maple is a hybrid, and as such falls outside the focus of The Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center which is to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes.

Your question has Mr. Smarty Plants asking some questions. Since he can’t see the tree, he can’t tell the left side from the right side. Is the tree growing next to a building or another tree? Does it get full sun, or partial sun? What kind of soil is it in? How much water does it receive? What time of year does this occur?
Answers to all of these could be useful in diagnosing your tree’s problem, so I’m suggesting that you contact the folks at the Arapahoe County office of Colorado State University Extension and see if one of their agents can look at your tree and help you with your problem.

This website of the North Dakota State University Extension fields questions about maples, and may be helpful.