Sunday - June 10, 2012

From: Guilford, CT
Topic: Plant Lists
Title: Plants for property in Connecticut adjacent to a salt marsh

Hi - I live on property adjacent to a salt marsh. The salt marsh leads out to Long Island Sound. I would like to plant non-invasive native plants of Guilford, Connecticut. I do not know what plants would be acceptable and not harmful to wildlife, etc. My goal for these plants is to hide view of my neighbors house (which is built on stilts). That being said some of the plants would need to have height. THANK YOU!

We have a Connecticut Recommended list of commercially available native plants suitable for landscaping in your state and our Native Plant Database has wonderful information about plant characteristics, growing conditions, etc., that can be sorted by state or province occurrence.  One thing our database doesn't have is information about the salt tolerance (soil content or salt spray) of various plants and since you live adjacent to a salt marsh, I think this is something you need to know.  I have found a very good resource from the University of Connecticut, Connecticut Coastal Planting Guide, that gives us this information.  Here are some recommendations from this list that are salt tolerant. Some also occur on our Connecticut Recommended list:

Amelanchier laevis (Allegheny service-berry)

Pinus rigida (Pitch pine) listed as tolerant by some sources.  Also shown on the Connecticut Recommended list.

Quercus alba (White oak) listed as tolerant by some sources.  Also shown on the Connecticut Recommended list.

Quercus stellata (Post oak) listed as tolerant by some sources.  Also shown on the Connecticut Recommended list. 

Sassafras albidum (Sassafras) listed as tolerant by some sources.  Also shown on the Connecticut Recommended list. 

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (Kinnikinnick) is evergreen.

Baccharis halimifolia (Groundseltree)

Iva frutescens (High-tide bush).  Here are photos and more information from Plants of Southern New Jersey and Duke University.

Rosa carolina (Carolina rose)

Vaccinium corymbosum (Highbush blueberry).  Also shown on the Connecticut Recommended list.

Viburnum dentatum (Southern arrowwood)

Limonium carolinianum (Carolina sealavender)

Solidago sempervirens (Seaside goldenrod).  Also shown on the Connecticut Recommended list.

Andropogon gerardii (Big bluestem).  Also shown on the Connecticut Recommended list.

Ammophila breviligulata (American beach grass)

You can find other possibilities for salt tolerant plants on the Connecticut Coastal Planting Guide and look up more information about them by entering their botanical name in our Native Plant Database.

Allegheny serviceberry
Amelanchier laevis

Pitch pine
Pinus rigida

White oak
Quercus alba

Post oak
Quercus stellata

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi

Baccharis halimifolia

Carolina rose
Rosa carolina

Highbush blueberry
Vaccinium corymbosum

Southern arrowwood
Viburnum dentatum

Carolina sealavender
Limonium carolinianum

Seaside goldenrod
Solidago sempervirens

Big bluestem
Andropogon gerardii