Tuesday - May 15, 2012

From: Allen, TX
Title: Established Habiturf in the DFW area from Allen TX

QUESTION:

Where can I see an established Habiturf in the DFW area? There are two sites that are obviously DFW (White Rock Lake and Round Rock) mentioned in Ask Mr Smartyplants, but no addresses. If no sites are available or disclosable, please develop a list. I want to convert an HOA's common areas presently growing bermuda to Habiturf. While I can make a trip to Austin to see the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower demonstration plots, I can't expect all the board of directors and landscape committee to make the trip.

ANSWER:

Actually, Round Rock is just north of Austin, but there are some other areas in the DFW area that have established plots in place.

Dr. Mark Simmons, Director of the Ecosystem Design Group of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, gave us this information on the location of an established area of Habiturf in Dallas:

"It is installed (as of last August) on the median and shoulders of SMU Boulevard just west of Highway 75, along the northern boundary of Bush Presidential Center."

Also, you might want to read and/or distribute these articles on Habiturf and how to establish it:

Native Lawns: Habiturf - The Ecological Lawn

Video of Installation