Mr. Smarty Plants - How to correct Anacacho leaves that are turning brown and curling in Driftwood, TX?

Friday - May 11, 2012

From: Driftwood, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Shrubs
Title: How to correct Anacacho leaves that are turning brown and curling in Driftwood, TX?

QUESTION:

Anacacho lunarioides leaves are turning brown and curling,how do I correct?

ANSWER:

Anacacho lunarioides, also known as Bauhinia lunarioides (Anacacho orchid tree) is a beautiful native Texas tree, and a look at the USDA Distribution Map shows that it is growing west of Hays County in Val Verde, Kinney, Webb, and Mc Mullen Counties. Its NPIN Profile adds Gillespie and Blanco Counties, and this soil description: Rocky, limestone soils. Sandy, sandy loam, medium loam, limestone-based. So it seems that it’s not from around here which could be part of the problem.

One approach to answering questions like this one is to think back to when the plant had green leaves and ask what has changed about its growing situation since then; watering schedule, fertilization,recently transplanted? Again from the NPIN Profile, the plant should grow well in partial shade in well drained sand, loam, limestone. Is it growing under optimal conditions?

Don’t overwater, and don’t give it fertilizer in its stressed condition.

The plant appears on Recommended Native Plants list of the Austin Chapter  of the Native Plant Society of Texas (NPSOT). By contacting them, you may find someone who can give you more information about growing this plant.

Anacacho orchid tree
Bauhinia lunarioides