Monday - May 07, 2012

From: Amarillo, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: How do you stop the bark from peeling off the tree in Amarillo?

QUESTION:

How do you stop the bark from peeling off the tree? I live in Amarillo, TX. If you can't stop the progression, how do you keep the tree alive?

ANSWER:

You didn’t mention what kind of tree is loosing its bark. There are some trees where shedding of the bark is a characteristic of the tree (sycamore, silver maple, redbud, birches).

Another cause of loosing bark can be a fungal infection. Mr. Smarty  Plants suggests contacting the Potter County office of Texas AgriLife Extension and ask one of their agents look at the tree to make an analysis.
If the tree is infected, continued loss of bark will kill the tree.