Sunday - May 06, 2012

From: memphis, TN
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Container Gardens, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Need a source of mature horsetail plants in Memphis, TN.

QUESTION:

Where can I find mature horsetail plants in Memphis,Tn.? Need enough to fill a 6 foot long by one foot wide planter Need for it to look like it's been there forever.

ANSWER:

Horsetail plants are aquatic plants in the genus Equisetum, and have been around in some form since the Devonian Epoch (408-353 mya). This site has good photos of Horsetails.

Our NPIN Database shows nine species in North America with Equisetum arvense (Field horsetail) and  Equisetum hyemale (Canuela) occurring in Shelby County, Tennessee. The people at the Edward J. Meeman Biological Field Station of the University of Memphis could perhaps direct you to a local source of Equisetum.

Davesgarden.com talks about a third species, and gives the name of a commercial source.

Field horsetail
Equisetum arvense

Scouring-rush horsetail
Equisetum hyemale