Monday - April 30, 2012

From: Phoenix, AZ
Topic: Poisonous Plants, Shrubs
Title: Cenizo safe for consumption by parrots from Phoenix AZ

QUESTION:

Could you tell me if Cenizo, (Leucophyllum frutescens) branches and leaves can be fed to pets? (parrots)I read the leaves were often used for tea for humans, but can't find an information if safe for parrots.

ANSWER:

If Mr. Smarty Plants were Mr. Smarty Birds, we would probably have the answer to your question on the tip of our tongues. As it is, we know quite a lot about Leucophyllum frutescens (Cenizo) and virtually zip about parrots.

We found an article from the World Parrot Trust on household substances poisonous to parrots, which included plants poisonous to parrots. You can search that list on scientific names and Leucophyllum frutescens (Cenizo) did not appear. We found no indication anywhere that Cenizo has any poisonous parts.

This article, Safe Plants and Toxic Plants for Pet Birds by Eleanor Mc Caffrey, adds to the information, but still doesn't mention Cenizo, one way or another. If your parrots have a veterinarian, he/she might be able to help you also.