En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Preserving the agave bloom for decoration from Sedona AZ

Saturday - April 28, 2012

From: Sedona, AZ
Topic: Cacti and Succulents
Title: Preserving the agave bloom for decoration from Sedona AZ

QUESTION:

I have an agave century plant which is starting to bloom. Is there some way I can preserve the flower as a decoration piece?

ANSWER:

Sorry, we really don't think so. Leave it on the agave as long as you can, and then cut it down and discard it. The plant will die, but there should be pups all around it so you can plant new ones. We have answered a very similar question several years ago, here is our previous Mr. Smarty Plants question.

Century plant
Agave parryi ssp. parryi

Century plant
Agave parryi ssp. parryi