Mr. Smarty Plants - Harvesting washer rinse cycle water from Austin

Tuesday - April 24, 2012

Region: Select Region
Topic: Watering
Title: Harvesting washer rinse cycle water from Austin

QUESTION:

Mr. Smarty Plants, My question is different. I am "harvesting" 8-9 gallons from the rinse cycle in my top loading washer. I was told not to use this water on vegetables, just shrubs and flowers. Is this true? We also get 2 gallons of cold water for each shower we take.

ANSWER:

Your question is different, all right, in that it concerns using "greywater" for use on gardens. Our line is the garden plants themselves, all native to Texas (in your case), of course. Since we have no experience with this beyond taking dishwashing water (no dishwashers in those days) out to try to keep some pathetic zinnias alive during the drought in the early 1950's, we will find some websites where you can get information and links to other sites.

sustainablesources.com Greywater Irrigation

The Austin Chronicle - The Old Grey Mire

Mr. Smarty Plants Previous Question, from Nagpur, India: Effects of Greywater on Plants and Soil

Austin Empowers Water Conservation Movement