Mr. Smarty Plants - Purchase source of Coral honeysuckle from New Boston TX

Saturday - April 21, 2012

From: New Boston, TX
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Vines
Title: Purchase source of Coral honeysuckle from New Boston TX

QUESTION:

I have been unable to find a supplier in the listings on your website for Lonicera Sempervirens. Many of them had a variety of different plants listed under this name but none were the 20' species. We have a large pergola 20'X30'with a high vaulted open ceiling with cross pieces for the vines to run on. There are 6 main 6X6" cypress posts supporting the structure and we need 6 plants. I have been looking everywhere and so far no luck. Can you please help us to find these beautiful vines to complete our project.

ANSWER:

According to this USDA Plant Profile Map, Lonicera sempervirens (Coral honeysuckle) grows naturally in Bowie County, in the upper northeast corner of Texas. Obviously, you have already read our webpage on this plant (or follow the plant link to it), and the first paragraph addresses length:

"High-climbing, twining vine, 3-20 ft. long, with smooth, glossy, paired, semi-evergreen leaves and 2-4 flowered clusters of red, tubular blooms followed by bright-red berries."

We would think that any large nursery in your area (and East Texas is a wonderful place for gardening) would carry this plant, but perhaps not specifying that it would grow to 20'. When you buy the plant, of course, it is not going to be 20' tall or long, but it is a fast-growing plant and, in good conditions, we would not be surprised if it grew larger than that. However, we have a National Suppliers Directory that hopefully will help. In the Enter Search Location box, type in your town name and state, and click on Search. You will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed companies and professional consultants in your general area. When we did this, we found no reference to Texarkana. We would suggest you first try some of the large nurseries or big box home improvement stores in Texarkana, both on the Texas and Arkansas sides. It may be listed by the common name "Coral honeysuckle" instead of the scientific name. Our suppliers' list includes contact information so you can get in touch in advance and inquire about availability.

We feel this plant is just right for your location and purpose, and hope you can locate it.

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens