Monday - April 16, 2012

From: Glendora, NJ
Topic: Seeds and Seeding, Wildflowers
Title: Seeds native to New Jersey from Glendora NJ

QUESTION:

My sister is getting married and would like to send out native wildflower seeds to the guests in her save the dates. We want these seeds to be NJ native seeds, but we are actually having some trouble locating this type of seed packet! Optimally, we would like for the packet to have info about NJ wildflowers. Would you happen to know where we may be able to purchase these seeds? THANKS SO MUCH!

ANSWER:

What a totally charming idea! And you obviously already realize that just buying a packet of wildflower seeds doesn't work unless they are native to where you are gardening.

We found American Meadows, which specializes in this exact sort of thing. Rather than New Jersey seeds exclusively, they have a mix for the Northeast. The problem is, that is only available in bulk. If you wanted to make your own packets and mail them, that would be the most inexpensive way to go. They have seed packets for all kinds of events but we did not check to see what seeds each contained. We also found packets of seeds that you can send like a postcard, but it is a seed packet.There is a service for seed packet personalization, which might include selecting the preferred mix.

There are all kinds of options on that website, and we recommend you go through it looking for just what you need. Best wishes on your sister's wedding!