Thursday - April 12, 2012

Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Removing invasive Dichelostemma firecracker plant from Austin

QUESTION:

We have dichelostemma firecracker plant & cannot kill it. We need help in getting rid of this plant. Spent another 3 hours digging up corms this afternoon. It is invading our backyard & want it killed out!!!

ANSWER:

We just, like this morning, answered the very same question. I thought it was from the same person, who had gotten tired of waiting for us to answer, but that one was from Cleburne TX and you are from Austin, so apparently wherever this plant is coming from, it is invasive. Please read the previous answer, because I don't think the name you are giving it is what it is, neither was the other one. Be sure you know what you have and we will try to help you.

In your case, we would refer you to the Texas Agrilife Extension Service for Travis County.