Thursday - April 12, 2012

From: Round Rock, TX
Topic: Planting, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Progress of Habiturf lawn from Round Rock TX

I sowed Habiturf seeds almost two weeks ago in well prepared soil--no grass or weeds, well tilled with compost. After sowing, I lightly raked the soil. I have watered twice/day, allowing it to dry slightly before watering again. Only a scattering of sprouts have come up, from the smaller seeds--I don't know which grass. Do I have a crop failure, or does it need more time? Should I have done something differently? How much time should I give it? Thanks for your help.

It sounds to us like you did everything right. In fact, we were at the Wildflower Center on Tuesday, as a tourist, with out of town visitors. We went to the Habiturf plot, in the Homeowners Gardens and it looked exactly as you described it. There was someone with us from the Horticulture Dept. and they pointed out the little sprouts, which were also from the smallest seeds, found one teeny-tiny bluebonnet plant, up much later than the other bluebonnets and a sprig or two of nutgrass. You know, of course, that you need to stay ahead of the non-native and invasive nutgrass, but we think the bluebonnet should be allowed to live.

In case you did not see them before you did the planting, we are going to link you to some sites on Habiturf, to reassure you.

Native Lawns: Habiturf - the Ecological Lawn

Habiturf: A Sustainable Lawn Solution