Mr. Smarty Plants - Need to identify a fungus in a flower garden in Lansinging, MI.

Wednesday - April 25, 2012

From: Lansing, MI
Topic: Compost and Mulch, Diseases and Disorders
Title: Need to identify a fungus in a flower garden in Lansinging, MI.

QUESTION:

I have a fungus in my flower garden. It is white and ground hugging. It is in a moist area under a large spruce where mulch has been laid down. When I step on it , it expels a green dust. What is it and how do I get rid of it? Thank you Pete

ANSWER:

What you are describing is very typical of many  fungi. They grow in shaded, moist areas with organic matter to provide food. The green dust you mention is a cloud of spores that disseminate the fungus. However, nothing in your description gives Mr. Smarty Plants a clue as to the identity of the fungus in question.

I suggest the you contact the folks at the Ingham County Office of Michigan State University Extension who can provide a mycologist or gardener who can identify the fungus you are describing, and offer suggestions for combating it.