Friday - April 06, 2012

From: Pflugerville, TX
Title: Dodder
Answered by: Nan Hampton & Anne Ruggles

I was driving around Llano, Texas and saw patches of orange amongst the wildflowers. From afar the patches seemed like dying plants. On close inspection, they are orange tendrils that are overrunning the existing plants. The web of tendrils can be many yards across, perhaps 5mm thick and each tendril is about 1mm in diameter. I have lived here for almost 20 years and I haven't ever seen this. Upon consultation with other old-timers, they hadn't seen it either. So, I'm asking you, Mr. Smarty Plants :)

We have had another observant reader ask this question, too.  You are seeing a species of Dodder, a very unusual and interesting native plant. There are more than 20 species species found in Texas many of which are described on the Wildflower Center's Native Plant Database. There are more than 150 species worldwide, although Dodder is most prevalent in the Americas.  

We checked with two botanists (Bill Carr and Laura Hansen) who have experience with Dodder and both said they would not venture an identification as this is a difficult plant to identify to species and requires a dissecting scope. One of the botanists (Carr) did, however, offer this which is fun to say aloud.

No one seems to give a hoot a

'Bout the species of Cuscuta

Maybe they all think it's fine

To simply call it bailing twine.

As a species, we humans have been very creative in naming it. We have also called it: love vine, strangleweed, devil's-guts, goldthread, pull-down, devil's-ringlet, hellbine, hairweed, devil's-hair, and hailweed.

Dodder (in the genus Cuscuta), is an annual, twining yellow or orange parasitic plant that is classified in its own family, the Dodder Family (Cuscutaceae). Its water, minerals and carbohydrates are absorbed from the host through haustoria (modified adventitious roots) that penetrate the host's tissue.

It produces many tiny whitish flowers from early June to the end of the growing season. The tiny seeds are yellow to brown or black and are about 1/8” in diameter. The seeds drop to the ground and germinate the next growing season if a suitable host is present. If no suitable host is present, the seed may remain dormant for up to 60 years depending on the species and environmental conditions. Moist soil and sunlight are required for germination. Dodder seedlings must attach to a suitable host within a few days of germinating. The stem gropes in the air until it makes contact with a plant at which point the seedling coils around the plant a couple of times. If this plant is a suitable host, the dodder will sprout haustoria which will penetrate the stem. The basal part of the seedling shrivels away so that no soil connection exists. Dodder species vary in the number of host species they can infect. Some are rather restricted in both habitat and host preference and other species are quite cosmopolitan.

Other good sources of information about this interesting plant are:

1.  There is a very good piece about Dodder on the Nature Writers of Texas blog by Ro Wauer from July 2006; "Dodder Looks Like Tangled Yellow-Orange Twine."

2.  The University of California at Davis has a very descriptive web page, with photos, devoted to Dodder.

3.  Mr. Smarty Plants discussed non-native Dodders a couple of years ago.

4.  The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service has photos and distribution maps of Dodder across the United States.

Dodder appears to be prevalent this year, perhaps because of the good rain parts of Texas are finally getting. It is a parasite and yes it will damage the host plant, but there are so many bluebonnets this year that it is not likely to have a population effect on them.

Smartweed dodder
Cuscuta polygonorum

Smartweed dodder
Cuscuta polygonorum