Mr. Smarty Plants - Do non-native globe willows have a taproot from Midland TX

Friday - April 06, 2012

From: Midland, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Trees
Title: Do non-native globe willows have a taproot from Midland TX

QUESTION:

Do globe willows have a tap root?

ANSWER:

Over time, we have received LOTS of questions about globe willows. The answer to your question is "no." We assume you were asking with thoughts of planting one close to a building or pavement. Trees do not have true taproots. A carrot is a taproot, but it isn't required to stand up straight in the air for 50 feet.

Please read this previous Mr. Smarty Plants question. We can tell you we don't like it any more now than we did then. Note the remarks about "aggressive roots."