Monday - April 02, 2012

Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Edible Plants, Vines
Title: Looking for a supplier for Mustang Grape vine in Austin, TX>

I'm looking for a supplier in Austin that will have a Mustang Grape Vine seed or plant for purchase. I found Natives of Texas in Kerrville, but if you know of a supplier in Austin, that would be preferable. Any help would be appreciated. Also, does a mustang grape vine take longer, shorter, or about the same time to grow and spread as other native and more popular vines? And why does it seem, at least to me, that this vine is so rare to come by?

Usually our first place to look in cases like this is our Suppliers Directory. Unfortunately, I could only find Natives of Texas  in Kerrville as a supplier of Mustang Grapes in Central Texas.

You can of course propagate your own Mustang Grapes, and I’ve included links to two previously answered questions that tell about the procedure.

I did not find any information about the relative growth rate of grape vines, but here are four sites about grape growing and the history of grape growing in Texas that you may find interesting

plants for a future.org.

Mr. Smarty Plants’ guess about the rarity of Mustang Grape plants for sale probably has to do with the fact that they are rather unpalatable and probably a poor seller. The vines are very abundant in the wild, and they are possible to propagate by cuttings

Mustang grape
Vitis mustangensis