Tuesday - April 10, 2012

From: Colchester, VT
Topic: Erosion Control, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Plants to stabilize a bank in VT

I am looking for suggestion on what plants might best be suited for aiding in the stabilization of a very steep bank above Lake Champlain.

Generally speaking, we recommend planting ornamental grasses to stabilize a steep bank. Their fibrous root systems really hold the soil in place and enable the plant to thrive in the "rapidly draining" (aka dry) soil conditions that are usually present on such a site.

These grasses are native to Vermont and would do the job quite nicely:

Ammophila breviligulata (American beach grass) (this plant can be very aggressive)

Calamagrostis canadensis (Bluejoint)

Hierochloe odorata (Sweetgrass)

Panicum virgatum (Switchgrass)

Schizachyrium scoparium (Little bluestem)

Sorghastrum nutans (Indiangrass)

If a mixed planting of grasses, shrubs and flowering perennial plants was more what you had in mind, you will want to select those that spread with runners or stolons.

You can visit our Native Plant database to learn more about which plants might be useful.  By doing a Combination Search for Vermont and selecting the plant type (shrub or herb(aceous perennial)) and the light and soil conditions of your site, you will generate lists of plants native to your area that meet those conditions.  Each plant name is linked to a detailed information page with images. 

For instance, a search for shrubs using the assumption that your conditions are sunny and dry, generates a list of 39 shrubs.  Plants from this list like Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (Kinnikinnick), Rhus typhina (Staghorn sumac) and Rosa carolina (Carolina rose) are all good "spreaders".

Asclepias tuberosa (Butterflyweed), Monarda fistulosa (Wild bergamot) and Tradescantia virginiana (Virginia spiderwort) are just a few of the perennials from the list of 89 that will also hold the soil.  You will find that the perennials that other gardeners are constantly digging up, dividing and sharing will be good "workhorses" for you!

American beach grass
Ammophila breviligulata

Calamagrostis canadensis

Hierochloe odorata

Panicum virgatum

Little bluestem

Sorghastrum nutans

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi

Staghorn sumac
Rhus typhina

Carolina rose
Rosa carolina

Wild bergamot
Monarda fistulosa

Virginia spiderwort
Tradescantia virginiana