Monday - March 19, 2012

From: Leakey, TX
Title: Source for manzanita from Leakey TX

Where can I buy manzanita plants in Texas?

According to the USDA Plant Profile map of states where Arctostaphylos manzanita (Whiteleaf manzanita) grows natively, that is only in California. This USDA Plant Profile of where it grows in California shows it only in central and northern California. From northern California to south central Texas is a pretty long way for a plant to travel. Since the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center recommends not only plants native to North America but also those that grow natively in the area where they are being used, we are not sure you are going to find a source near you.

From Las Pilitas Nursery in California, we found this article on the California manzanita. Also, in their "Shop" section we found an order page for Manzanita. They say they only ship plants, since our own webpage for Arctostaphylos manzanita (Whiteleaf manzanita) states that the plant is very difficult to propagate from seed.

Another possibility is this California Native Plant Exchange listing nurseries that sell the plant.

Finally, you can go to our National Suppliers Directory, go to the Enter Search Location box and put in your town, state or zip code. This will give you a list of native plant nurseries, seed companies and consultants in your general area. Most have websites and other contact information and perhaps you will find someone who either stocks it or can order it for you.