Thursday - March 08, 2012

From: Houston, TX
Topic: Planting, Turf, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Planting Habiturf in Houston, TX>

QUESTION:

First, I want to say thank you for such an informative site. You say that the Buffalograsses tend to do well in drier and well drained soil. My house has a lawn that drops about 10 inches in about 20 feet. I live in Houston and the predictions for this year are that we will have below average rainfall. What would be your take on the chances of Buffalograss lawn doing "well" in these conditions? Thank you,

ANSWER:

Thank you for the kind words. There are some truly dedicated workers, both staff and volunteers, here at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

First lets clear up a mis-conception; when we talk about “well drained soil” we are talking about the water percolating down through the soil, not running down a slope. Here are a couple of links that illustrate this point:
walter reeves.com

acupofhot.blogspot.com

As more and more people are looking at Buffalo grass and Habiturf for their lawns, we are getting more questions about these grasses. Here are a couple of previously answered questions from Houston that may be helpful to you.

#7752

#7750