Mr. Smarty Plants - Ants in the compost pile from Georgetown TX

Friday - March 09, 2012

From: Georgetown, TX
Region: Select Region
Topic: Compost and Mulch, Pests
Title: Ants in the compost pile from Georgetown TX

QUESTION:

Can you give me any suggestions for ridding my compost pile of ants?

ANSWER:

Here is an article on Composting that answers that and several other questions. From personal experience we would say that, first, make sure you are not putting in any sugary food scraps that might be attracting them. We used potato peelings, coffee grounds, lettuce scraps (no dressing) and other items for nitrogen, but no greasy or sweet items. Our other suggestion is to get your pile as hot as you can, and the suggestion in the above article about keeping the pile wet and turning it will certainly discourage the ants. The article also mentions that they can be beneficial, bringing in fungi that encourage decomposition. Water, heat and decomposition will get you more good compost faster.