Mr. Smarty Plants - Planting fruit and nut trees in Mason County, TX

Friday - March 02, 2012

Topic: Edible Plants, Trees
Title: Planting fruit and nut trees in Mason County, TX

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I have 36 acres 15 miles west of the city of Mason TX. I wish to plant one acre plots of sustainable organic crops that are long term and hardy. (cost and effort not an issue) I plan to plant red maple, olive, peach and pecan, but I am looking for a comprensive list of all fruits/crops that I could plant in this location that migh do well. Please dont worry about soil and water, just if possible, give me a long list of all that might grow in this climate location. my sincerest thanks,

ANSWER:

Before we get started, let me state that the mission  of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes. Of the plants that you mentioned, only maple and pecan trees are native to North America. Mr. Smarty Plants is thinking that you are more interested in farming than gardening. To that end, I’m going to refer you to the the folks at the Mason County Office of Texas AgriLife Extension who can probably be of more help. This is quite an ambitious project.

We often get questions of this nature so I am going to include links to three previously answered questions.

#6774 

#5289

#5146