Mr. Smarty Plants - Difference between soil moisture and water use from Austin

Monday - February 20, 2012

Topic: Soils, Watering
Title: Difference between soil moisture and water use from Austin

QUESTION:

In the native plant data base "growing conditions" can you explain the difference between water use and soil moisture?

ANSWER:

Good question. The "water use" involves how much water that plant normally needs, with watering supplementing the rainfall if that is insufficient. Soil moisture is how moist the soil is naturally. Sandy soils will usually drain away quickly after water falling on it, while clay soil has such tiny particles that they compact and don't allow water through, often resulting in water standing on roots.