Mr. Smarty Plants - More information on plants native to Taylor County TX

Monday - February 13, 2012

From: Abilene, TX
Topic: General Botany, Plant Lists
Title: More information on plants native to Taylor County TX

QUESTION:

Re: Thursday - September 15, 2011 QUESTION: Am looking for direction to a complete list of plants native to the Abilene, Taylor County, Texas area (trees, shrubs, grasses, cacti and other plants that grew here before cultivation, eradication or other civilized improvements). Any article specific to Taylor, Jones, Callahan, Shackelford or surrounding Counties would be wonderful. Interested in food plants for wildlife or humans as well as medicinal and other historic uses (think great-great-grandmother or Native American). Thank you in advance. From: Abilene , TX Region: Southwest Topic: Plant Lists, Edible Plants, Medicinal Plants Title: List of plants native to the Abilene, Texas area I have come upon a number relevant titles to the above inquiry; including several relating to Taylor County, Texas where Abilene is situated. Other titles included are found to relate to the area. Please consider adding the following to your answer. "Botany of Western Texas: A Manual of the Phanegrams and Pteriodophytes of Western Texas 1891-94 [No.1-3] by John Merle Coulter "Notes on the Flora of Taylor County, Texas", 1946 by Tolstead and Cory. "Flora of the Prairies and Plains of Central North America ", Jun 1965 by Per Axel Rydberg "Keys to the Embryophyta of Taylor County, Texas" 1966 by by Wm. F. Mahler "Flora of Taylor County, Texas", 1973 by Wm. F. Mahler "Edible Wild Plants of the Prairie: An Ethnobotanical Guide" by Kelly Kindscher (May 1987) "Useful plants of the Big Country Area", 1988 by Allen Julian McDaniel "Medicinal Wild Plants of the Prairie: An Ethnobotanical Guide" by Kelly Kindscher (Jun 1992) "Shinners & Mahler's Illustrated Flora of North Central Texas", published by Botanical Research Inst of Texas; 1st edition (February 24, 1999) "Edible and Useful Plants of Texas and the Southwest: A Practical Guide", by Delena Tull (1999) A Field Guide to Western Medicinal Plants and Herbs", 2002 by Christopher Hobbs, Steven Foster, Roger Tory

ANSWER:

This is in reference to a previous Mr. Smarty Plants question and was sent to us by the same person.

Thank you very much for going to all the trouble of listing these resources, in response to our earlier reply to another question from you. Unfortunately, we are not a forum and are not set up to provide additional information to previous questions. However, we will publish your list of publications with our answer (this) and others searching our FAQ's  on the same subject will have access to it.