Sunday - February 12, 2012

From: San Angelo, TX
Topic: Planting, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Need perennials for front beds in south-facing house ib San Angelo, TX.

What perennials will work in my front beds of southern facing house in West Texas?

Let me introduce you to our Native Plant Database to help you with your plant selection. Click here to get to the Database and scroll down to the Combination Search box. Select Texas under State, Herb under Habit, and Perennial under Duration. Check Sun under Light Requirement since the house faces south, and Dry (or the condition that applies) under Soil Moisture. Click the Submit combination Search button and you will get a list of 180 native plant species that meet these criteria. You can get a different list by changing herb to shrub under Habit. You can also specify the desired height of the plants.
Clicking on the Scientific name of each plant will bring up its NPIN page that has a description of the plant along with growth characteristics and requirements. In most cases, there are images of the plant.   

As you go through the list, pay attention to the plant’s growth requirements ( light, moisture, soil type, pH) its size,its bloom characteristics, etc.

For help a little closer to home you might contact the folks at the Tom Green County office of Texas AgriLife Extension Service.