En EspaÑol

Sunday - February 12, 2012

From: Galveston, TX
Topic: Plant Lists, Drought Tolerant, Grasses or Grass-like, Wildflowers
Title: Native Plants for Galveston
Answered by: Brigid & Larry Larson

QUESTION:

I'm looking for low maintenance, drought tolerant plants for Galveston, on the bay side, in a well drained area with morning sun. I was thinking of Phlox, Muhly grass, Lantana.....and I am looking for suggestions. Thank you.

ANSWER:

Your area is a great area for native plants!  The set of plants that you are thinking of will do well.  I would only add that you should look for the specific native species that are well adapted to your area.  From comparing your list with ours, I found Phlox drummondii (Annual phlox)Phlox glabriflora (Rio grande phlox)Muhlenbergia capillaris (Gulf muhly), and Lantana urticoides (Texas lantana).  

When I search for suggestions, I like to use the Recommended Species page on the Wildflower Center website.  There is a specific collection that covers Galveston, the Gulf Marshes & Prairies collection.  This is a big list! It appears that many of the Texas natives like Galveston also.   Three that I found that you might want to consider are  Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida (Prairie verbena)Sisyrinchium langloisii (Roadside blue-eyed grass) and Salvia azurea (Pitcher sage).  Of course, your preferences may differ!

Finally, I also checked previous Mr Smarty Plants questions.  Have you considered a Wildlife Garden?  That question was asked last summer and contains another good list of plant suggestions.

Hope this gives you a little to think about! Enjoy your planting. 

Annual phlox
Phlox drummondii

Rio grande phlox
Phlox glabriflora

Gulf muhly
Muhlenbergia capillaris

Texas lantana
Lantana urticoides

Prairie verbena
Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida

Roadside blue-eyed grass
Sisyrinchium langloisii