Sunday - February 12, 2012

From: Galveston, TX
Topic: Plant Lists, Drought Tolerant, Grasses or Grass-like, Wildflowers
Title: Native Plants for Galveston
Answered by: Brigid & Larry Larson

QUESTION:

I'm looking for low maintenance, drought tolerant plants for Galveston, on the bay side, in a well drained area with morning sun. I was thinking of Phlox, Muhly grass, Lantana.....and I am looking for suggestions. Thank you.

ANSWER:

Your area is a great area for native plants!  The set of plants that you are thinking of will do well.  I would only add that you should look for the specific native species that are well adapted to your area.  From comparing your list with ours, I found Phlox drummondii (Annual phlox)Phlox glabriflora (Rio grande phlox)Muhlenbergia capillaris (Gulf muhly), and Lantana urticoides (Texas lantana).  

When I search for suggestions, I like to use the Recommended Species page on the Wildflower Center website.  There is a specific collection that covers Galveston, the Gulf Marshes & Prairies collection.  This is a big list! It appears that many of the Texas natives like Galveston also.   Three that I found that you might want to consider are  Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida (Prairie verbena)Sisyrinchium langloisii (Roadside blue-eyed grass) and Salvia azurea (Pitcher sage).  Of course, your preferences may differ!

Finally, I also checked previous Mr Smarty Plants questions.  Have you considered a Wildlife Garden?  That question was asked last summer and contains another good list of plant suggestions.

Hope this gives you a little to think about! Enjoy your planting. 

Annual phlox
Phlox drummondii

Rio grande phlox
Phlox glabriflora

Texas lantana
Lantana urticoides

Roadside blue-eyed grass
Sisyrinchium langloisii