En Español

Q. Who is Mr. Smarty Plants?

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers are the culpable and capable culprits. Yet, others think staff members play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Help us grow by giving to the Plant Database Fund or by becoming a member

Did you know you can access the Native Plant Information Network with your web-enabled smartphone?

Share

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants is a free service provided by the staff and volunteers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Search Smarty Plants
    
 
See a list of all Smarty Plants questions

Please forgive us, but Mr. Smarty Plants has been overwhelmed by a flood of mail and must take a break for awhile to catch up. We hope to be accepting new questions again soon. Thank you!

Need help with plant identification, visit the plant identification page.

 
rate this answer
Not Yet Rated

Tuesday - December 27, 2011

From: Indianapolis, IN
Region: Midwest
Topic: Poisonous Plants, Vines
Title: Is there a vine in Indiana with poisonous thorns?
Answered by: Nan Hampton

QUESTION:

I was cut at the left big toe by a brownish/red thorny vine while tracking thru dry grass near the bridge exiting 278. I'm from Indianapolis, in 46208. Was wondering if I was exposed to a poisonous vine. Cleaned up and sanitized well. Nevertheless still swollen after 5 days.

ANSWER:

We recently answered the question:  "Are there any plants in North America that possess poisonous thorns?"  The answer for your situation is "no, not really."  My guess is that you ran into a Smilax bona-nox (Saw greenbrier) vine or a long branch of one of the species of Rubus (blackberry, raspberry, dewberry) that grows in Indiana.  These both have formidable thorns on them and hurt a lot if your flesh comes in contact with them.   Their thorns, however, are not poisonous.   Puncture wounds in flesh caused by any sharp object have the potential to get infected from bacteria introduced into the wound.   There could even be a small bit of thorn that broke off in the wound.  If your toe is still swollen, my advice to you is to go see a doctor.

 

More Poisonous Plants Questions

Getting rid of poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac
July 30, 2011 - How can I rid my yard of poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac? I have tried roundup, poison ivy roundup and even a clorox solution and nothing seems to kill it, I keep seeing it come up. Any help ...
view the full question and answer

How to get rid of poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans)
April 25, 2007 - Our school grounds are infested with lots of poison ivy. What is best remedy for extensive growth?
view the full question and answer

What is white sticky substance in the Mandevilla vine?
June 15, 2012 - When I was watering my Mandevilla one of the vines broke and there was a white, sticky substance that came out of the vine. I was just curious as to what that is.
view the full question and answer

Effects of Hedysarum mackenzii from Pflugerville TX
May 08, 2013 - What are the effects of Hedysarum mackenzii?
view the full question and answer

Hedgerow plants non-toxic to horses
April 07, 2012 - What would be a good, fast growing, hedgerow plant that is NON-POISONOUS TO HORSES? Thank you.
view the full question and answer

Support the Wildflower Center by Donating Online or Becoming a Member today.
E-NEWSLETTER | BECOME A MEMBER | DONATE NOW | MEDIA | JOBS | SITEMAP | STAFF INTRANET
© 2016 Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center