Tuesday - December 20, 2011

From: Maysville, MO
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Are buckbrush (coralberry) berries poisonous?

QUESTION:

Are the berries on buckbrush (Symphoricarpos orbiculatus) poisonous to humans?

ANSWER:

The Poisonous Plants of North Carolina database says that the berries of all species of Symphoricarpos are mildly toxic when eaten—causing vomiting and diarrhea.  The Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System lists the related Symphoricarpos albus (Common snowberry) that also occurs in Missouri as being mildly poisonousSymphoricarpos orbiculatus (Coralberry) is not specifically listed in any of the toxic plant databases that I accessed, but given the information about the genus from the two cited above, I wouldn't eat any of the berries myself!