Saturday - July 01, 2006

From: Oldsmar, FL
Title: Care of non-native Mandevilla

QUESTION:

I have purchased 2 Red Riding Hood Mandevilla's. The tag on it says it blooms spring to frost, full sun, ave size is 8 feet tall & spreading. I live in the Tampa FL area. Does this plant grow as a shrub or does it need something to help it climb, like a vine?

ANSWER:

Our interest and expertise at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is in plants native to North America. Red Riding Hood Mandevilla (Mandevilla splendens or Dipladenia spendens or Dipladenia sanderi) is a native of Brazil and isn't really in our purview. However, we can guide you to more information on the care of your plant. It is a woody vine and does need something to climb on.