Thursday - November 17, 2011

From: Swansea, Wales
Region: Other
Title: Plant identification request from Wales, United Kingdom

QUESTION:

I have a plant that has green and pink leaves and the flowers are dry but are like fingers on a hand. The leaves drop down when it needs watering, which is every other day, and the finger shaped clusters of flowers spread out?? I have no idea how big this plant gets and would really like to know how to keep it well :) Thank you.

ANSWER:

Our focus and expertise here at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is with plants native to North America.  Since you are located in Wales, United Kingdom, we are not the best source to identify or help you with the care of your plant.  Here are some UK sources that you might contact for help:

The Royal Horticultural Society offers gardening advice to its members.

Natural History Museum Postcode Plants Database has lists of native plants with photos and information organized by postcode.

The Botanical Society of the British Isles has a plant identification feature.

Closer to home, you might consider contacting someone at Singleton Botanical Gardens in Swansea.