Mr. Smarty Plants - Native, full-sun, 4-in. evergreen grasses for Leander TX

Monday - November 07, 2011

From: Leander, TX
Topic: Groundcovers, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Native, full-sun, 4-in. evergreen grasses for Leander TX

QUESTION:

Help! I need a native Texas evergreen sedge/grass/ground cover for full-sun/hot/dry area between sidewalk and street. The plants will need to be kept about 4" high, if growth is higher it must be mowed. Soil can be amended to meet plant needs. I searched the Q & A and plant description pages and did not find a plant that would live in the specified conditions.

ANSWER:

Gee, who doesn't? We can help you with several of your requirements, but not all of them. Allow us to introduce you to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center's research on grasses well suited to drought, heat and sun. What we cannot do is offer you anything evergreen. Some of these grasses even go dormant and turn brown when it is very dry, but will persevere. Please read these articles about the grasses that have been developed:

How-To Article - Native Lawns: Buffalograss

How-To Article - Native Lawns: Multi-Species introducing Habiturf

Native Lawns - including comparisons on weed resistance

Buffalograss
Bouteloua dactyloides