Mr. Smarty Plants - When to plant non-native red-tip photinia

Thursday - November 17, 2011

From: Roanoke, VA
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Planting
Title: When to plant non-native red-tip photinia

QUESTION:

When do you plant the Red-Tip Photinia Flowering Shrubs in Roanoke VA?

ANSWER:

Photinia x fraseri (Red-tip photinia) is a hybrid cross of two non-native Asian species—Photinia serratifolia from China and Photinia glabra from Japan.  It is considered invasive in Texas, but not in Virginia.  Since our expertise and focus here at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America, we aren't really the source you should be asking about planting red-tip photinia.  The Roanoke Virginia Cooperative Extension office should be able to tell you; in fact, you can ask your question on their Ask an Expert – Master Gardeners feature.

Please visit Ask Mr. Smarty Plants again with questions about North American native plants.