Thursday - November 03, 2011

From: Hamilton, NY
Topic: Transplants
Title: Transplanting Blueberries in NY State
Answered by: Anne Ruggles

I would like to ask you about transplanting blueberry bushes. When can I move them? 3 of them are at least 10 years old and haven't done well in their current location. I have built a fence to keep the deer out and hope that it will help them if the deer can't nibble on them. Thank you.

The more you understand about the natural history of this plant the easier transplanting will be. Transplantng is most successfully carried out if you do so when the plants are dormant and you can still dig in the soil. In addition to fencing the deer out, make sure that the location to which you are transplanting the blueberries meet their needs. Generally blueberries need:

These links will take you to sources of information about the natural history of blueberries and on how to plant/ transplant them.

The St. Lawrence Nurseries in Potsdam provide a thorough guide to planting and care of blueberries.

The Columbia County Cooperative Extension, Hudson, NY also has an excellent publication on the care of blueberries in New York by Steven Mckay: Blueberries In The Home Garden