Mr. Smarty Plants - Nativity of <i>Lantana camara</i> and <i>Strelitzia reginae</i>

Tuesday - November 08, 2011

From: Temple, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives
Title: Nativity of Lantana camara and Strelitzia reginae

QUESTION:

I was wondering why Lantana Camara is not in the Wildflower's database. Multiple sources say it is native to the U.S. and North America. I was also wondering if Strelitzia reginae (Bird-of-Paradise) is truly native? This plant IS in your database, but many sources say this plant is native to southern Africa. Thank you.

ANSWER:

First of all, Mr. Smarty Plants' face was red to see that Strelitzia reginae (Bird-of-Paradise) appeared in our Native Plant Database.  It is a beautiful plant but certainly doesn't belong in our Native Plant Database since it is a native of South Africa. It has been removed. Thank you for pointing out its presence to us.  Our goal is to ensure that the information in our database is accurate.

Now, about Lantana camara, you can read the explanation of why it doesn't occur in our Native Plant Database in the answer to a previous question.

Here is more evidence to support its nativity: