Mr. Smarty Plants - Establishing native pasture in East Texas

Saturday - October 29, 2011

From: Center Valley, PA
Region: Select Region
Title: Establishing native pasture in East Texas
Answered by: Anne Ruggles

QUESTION:

We are the owners of a 20 acre parcel in Harrison County, Texas. It is currently planted in pine trees. Our intentions are to thin and harvest the pine trees over the next 10 years. We would like to return appropriate areas of the parcel to native pasture that would support horse grazing. Do you have a list of trained professionals who can assist in the design of the parcel reclamation? What native grasses would best serve our needs? Thanks.

ANSWER:

Congratulations on your plans. There are two good sources of information to help you with this project.

1.  The USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) employs soil conservationists, rangeland management specialists, soil scientists, agronomists, biologists, engineers, geologists, engineers, and foresters. These experts help landowners develop conservation plans, create and restore wetlands and restore and manage other natural ecosystems.

USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service -Texas Office

101 South Main   Temple, TX 76501
Phone: 254-742-9800
FAX: 254-742-9819

Texas State Office:

Clary, Justin  Rangeland Management Specialist 254.742.9965

Goodwin, Jeff  Grazing Lands Conservation Initiative Coordinator 254.742.9951

East Texas Plant Materials Center Nacogdoches, NRCS

Allen, Timothy  Biological Science Technician 936.564.4873

Brakie, Melinda  Soil Conservationist 936.564.4873

McCormack, Max  Biological Science Technician 936.564.4873

Shadow, Alan  Soil Conservationist 936.564.4873

2.  The Texas County Extension Agent Program can also help you with your plans.

The Harrison County Extension Office is located in Marshall.

102 West Houston St    (South Side of the square)   Marshall, TX 75670
Phone: 903-935-8413
Fax: 903-935-4837
Email: Harrison-tx@tamu.edu

Name

Title

Phone/Fax/Email

Louraiseal D Mcdonald

County Extension Agent

Phone: (903) 935-8414
Fax: (903) 935-4837
ldmcdonald@ag.tamu.edu

David R Reeves

County Extension Agent

Phone: (903) 935-8413
Fax: (903) 935-4837
dr-reeves@tamu.edu

Recommended grass species can be found here on the Wildflower Center website. 

Make sure to use the option to narrow your search by selecting "Grass/Grass-like" under

heading "General Appearance".