Wednesday - October 12, 2011

From: Gaffney, SC
Topic: Poisonous Plants, Shrubs
Title: Are beautyberry bushes toxic to horses?

QUESTION:

Are beautyberry bushes toxic to horses?

ANSWER:

I’m assuming that your are referring to the American Beautyberry Callicarpa americana (American beautyberry). Some of the sources that I find regard the beautyberry as edible for humans, but not too palatable. However the berries can be used to make jam.

This is a link to a previously answered question  regarding toxicity of American Beautyberry for dogs. It contains the links to poisonous plant databases that we use to when answering questions of this nature.

This link to ASPCA-horses is missing from that previous answer.

American beautyberry
Callicarpa americana