Thursday - June 15, 2006

From: Mescalero, NM
Title: Name of epiphyte growing on oak trees
Answered by: Dean Garrett

Please tell me what the epiphyte growing on the oak trees is.

It depends on what part of the country you're talking about. In humid environments of the southeastern United States from east-central Texas to the Carolinas, the familiar epiphyte growing on live oaks and other trees is Spanish moss (Tillandsia usneoides). In drier areas from Arizona to Louisiana and Florida, you'll find the related ball moss (Tillandsia recurvata) growing on a variety of trees, including oaks. Tillandsias are members of the pineapple family, Bromeliaceae.