Tuesday - June 13, 2006

From: Hubert, NC
Topic: Non-Natives, Transplants
Title: Transplant of non-native Lathyrus tuberosus in North Carolina

QUESTION:

I have a tuberous sweetpea vine that grows wild on our property. When would be a good time to move this plant to a better location?

ANSWER:

Tuberous Sweetpea, Lathyrus tuberosus, is native to Europe and Asia and as such is not a species that the Wildflower Center has much knowledge of. While this species is not currently listed on any North American invasive species lists, it certainly has the potential to become a problem here as it has in Australia.

We hope you will consider a native alternative to Tuberous sweetpea, but you can safely transplant your vine during its dormant season. It can also be propagated by seed.