Mr. Smarty Plants - Transplanting trumpet creeper in Prairie City, IA

Monday - August 22, 2011

From: Prairie City, IA
Topic: Invasive Plants, Planting, Propagation, Transplants, Vines
Title: Transplanting trumpet creeper in Prairie City, IA

QUESTION:

I have a Trumpet Creeper that I would like to transplant. How do you do that?

ANSWER:

Go first to our webpage on Campsis radicans (Trumpet creeper) by following this link; after you have read all the information you might decide you don't want an invasive plant like this. It does serve purposes such as erosion control and attracting hummingbirds-we just wanted to make sure we made Full Disclosure.

On that page, you will find this:

"Propagation

Propagation Material: Seeds , Semi-hardwood Cuttings , Root Cuttings
Description: Take 3-4 inch, new growth semi-hardwood cuttings from May through October. Root cuttings of strong parts of current seasons root growth also used, but require more treatment.
Seed Collection: Gather ripe capsules when they turn brown but before they dry and split open (between 2-3 months after flowering). Remove seeds from pod, air dry, and store in sealed, refrigerated containers.
Seed Treatment: Stratify 30-60 days at 41-50 degrees.
Commercially Avail: yes
Maintenance: To keep lush during droughts, water deeply on occasion. Mow to keep it from expanding beyond defined areas. Cut back branches to two buds in the winter to encourage bushier growth and more blooms."

Bottom line-you almost can't help transplanting a Trumpet Creeper if you have one on your property. If you want to propagate from one somewhere else, we would recommend the rooting of the semi-hardwood cuttings or root cuttings. From North Carolina State University, here is an article on Plant Propagation by Stem Cuttings. From the same source, Plant Propagation by Leaf, Cane and Root Cuttings.

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans