Friday - August 26, 2011

From: Abilene,, TX
Topic: Compost and Mulch, Soils, Watering, Erosion Control, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Erosion at edge of driveway in Abilene TX

QUESTION:

My lawn suffered a great loss of grass over the winter and the soil at the edge of the driveway is washing away with watering and the occasional rains that we have. I am trying to get the grass to grow there but in the meantime I would like some tips on how to prevent the erosion. Is there something other than the landscape edgings that I could use? Thank you.

ANSWER:

You have rains in Abilene? Wow! In Austin, we just have heat wave, but we can see where watering could be causing loss of soil.

There are erosion blankets available at nurseries, but they would probably be overkill for your space, since they are designed for hillsides, large areas. If the point where the erosion is occurring has curb and driveway, we think a flexible landscape edging, which can be held in place by curb and driveway, would be the best choice. We would suggest that you first build up the area with some compost, as you no doubt have lost a lot of good soil, not to mention grass seed if that is the way you are going. The edging will help keep that new dirt in place where you are going to want to replant.

There is no point in planting anything now until it cools off some. In the meantime, please read our How-To Articles on Native Lawns: Buffalo Grass  and Native Lawns: Multi-Species. When the appropriate time comes for replacing the grass in the affected area, it would be good if you can obtain sod, as this can be put down on the composted area, and have a better chance of staying in place. Grasses are excellent for preventing erosion, as they have long, fibrous roots, but you have to give those roots dirt, so they can get started right.

Curly mesquite grass
Hilaria belangeri