Sunday - August 07, 2011

From: Philadelphia, PA
Title: Identifying tiny plant from Philadelphia PA

QUESTION:

I would like help identifying a tiny plant. I tried using using the plant identification page, but I don't know enough about this plant and plant terminology to use it. I would like to send you some photographs as I lack the vocabulary to describe it. May I do so? Thank you

ANSWER:

We are sorry but we do not have the computer infrastructure to accept and work with pictures. From our Plant Identification page:

"Plant Identification

We would love to spend all day identifying native plants for you folks! However, we already spend all day (and most of the night) answering your native plant questions. Luckily, there are some excellent forums available to help you identify those mysterious unknowns.

UBC Botanical Gardens Forums - The UBC Botanical Garden provides an Expert Identification forum for plant identification with an emphasis on the Pacific Northwest of North America. Registration required to submit images for ID.

Dave's Garden - Dave's Garden (aka "DG") is an informational website where you can post an image and/or a detailed description, and your fellow gardeners will help you figure out what it is in their Plant and Tree Identification Discussion Forum. Registration required to submit images for ID.

GardenWeb - The Name That Plant forum allows users to upload images of plants that they are trying to identify so that others may help them come up with a name. Registration required to submit images for ID.

If the forums can't help, try contacting a local representative from your native plant society or your county extension agent with the USDA Cooperative Extension System.

Important Notes when submitting images for identification:

1. Be sure to post where and when you found the plant and describe the site where it occurred.
  2. If possible, take several high-resolution images including details of leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, and the overall plant.
  3. Save images in JPEG format.
  4. Do not reduce the resolution of your images. It is much easier to identify species from high-resolution images."